Thursday, March 15, 2018

Coumeenole Beach

Watercolour on Bockingford 200LB NOT paper - much heavier paper than I'm used to (140LB, which is 300gsm). So quite interesting to try it out (was from a set of papers from Ken Bromley). But I found the paint didn't glide as much as I'm used to (although I generally use rough paper). This paper might be good for a lot of layering.

I used a wax pencil to keep the waves white - a little blockier than I'd like

And if you're thinking that I just take a photo and paint, check out this link where you'll see the pen and watercolour sketches I did on site, and the photos and videos I took. And that's a year and a half ago. I've been working a lot on my watercolour techniques since. 

I used a few new colours in this painting, getting familiar with them, and I have to say that so far, I love them! Monte Amiata Natural Sienna, Transparent Red Oxide, Potters' Pink, and Cerulean Blue Chromium (not sure about that blue, it's very granulating). All from Daniel Smith. All discovered via Liz Steel's Sketching Now Watercolour online course.


No comments:

Post a Comment