Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Hag Seed

I don't buy or read many "book" books any more. I am more of a Kindle woman. I don't read half as much as I used to. Too many distractions. Social Media. Netflix. Time flies. But every Christmas, we go into Dubray book shop on Grafton street, and buy a couple of books. I know it's probably not enough, but I feel like we do our bit to keep bookshops open.

That's where I got Hag Seed by Margaret Atwood. It was a while since I read any of her stuff. I used to be a big fan, but I kind-of lost interest somewhere along the way.

Hag Seed is a re-interpretation of Shakespeare's The Tempest. And what a trip it was! I've never read The Tempest. I've never even read  any Shakespeare! But I had seen The Tempest as an opera. So the story of a theatre director who has been sacked and finds work in a prison worked for me. Just as in the play, a big injustice, plotting for revenge, lots of villains. And a daughter called Miranda. I loved it. I must go back and see what else Atwood has written in recent years!

No comments:

Post a Comment