Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Watercolour society exhibition

Really inspired by the Watercolour society of Ireland's exhibition in Dun Laoghaire last week. Over two hundred paintings I think. Not all of them to my taste. But some that I fell in love with at first sight! I spent an hour examining them all in great detail!

My three favourites were:

Kate Bedell's Poppy fantasia,
A still life somewhat reminiscent of Shirley Trevena's work, it was my top choice from the show. It represents everything I'd love to be able to do with watercolours - all about rich colours, textures and a dreamy atmosphere. This is the only one of the three I could find on the artist's website. Photography was not allowed at the exhibition. I actually asked at the desk if it was allowed. I could probably have taken pictures with my phone without being noticed (I know some people did), but I felt it was important to respect that request.

Colourful Collection by Maureen Phelan  A big bold painting - a vase with flowers, all in pinks and yellows and a gorgeous sea green. It needs a big room. But it's such a happy painting.

Slea Head Beach by Joe Dunne. This painting looks so simple - beach, sky, sea - but it's so striking. And I know what he achieved is not easy to do - painting convincing waves without using white gouache! My ultimate goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment