Monday, March 23, 2015

Chocolate Cake

It's a while since you've heard me talk about baking. But that doesn't mean I wasn't beavering away in the background! Well, actually, I hadn't done much since Christmas, between colds and broken foot. 
But now that I'm on my feet again, I've baked biscuits (Aine McAteer's glorious chocolate chip cookies) and banana bread (Avoca, yummy, if a little sweet).

But it was a while since I had baked a chocolate cake (or even brownies). This one is from a new book "A modern way to eat" by Anna Jones. They're all vegetarian recipes, and this cake boasts that it's actually good for you. With ground almonds, almond milk, banana, spelt flour, maple syrup, coconut oil and chocolate of course, what's not to love?

It didn't quite rise as much as I thought it would. I took 2 tsp of baking powder to mean level teaspoons, not heaped. But I think I'll go for heaped next time, as the cake was supposed to be thicker so I could cut it in two and add a layer of (healthy) icing.

But still, it is very rich and very tasty. Worth investigating further. Definitely.



No comments:

Post a Comment